Classic Film and Television Home Page
Color in the Arts
This is a portal with links to articles on my sites about Color in films and painting.
Film Directors (these articles discuss the directors' color approaches, along with many other aspects of their films):
My list of purple-and-yellow costumes in film and comic books.
My own mystery short story, set against making a film in two-color Technicolor (light-hearted fun):
Banning the Blues
"If it be true, as veteran Polish director Aleksander Ford once observed, that the cinema of tomorrow is the cinema of wide screen and color,
then Sirk's formal achievements will have led the way towards a more sensuous future."
Andrew Sarris, "The American Cinema" (1968).
My 10 favorite uses of color in Music Videos:
- Gino Vanelli: Black Cars (Derek Burbidge)
- ELO: So Serious (Peter Christopherson)
- Art of Noise: Peter Gunn Theme (Matt Forrett)
- Whitney Houston: How Will I Know? (Brian Grant)
- Cyndi Lauper: She-Bop (Edd Griles)
- DeBarge: Rhythm of the Night (Peter Heath)
- Wham!: Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (Andy Morahan)
- Elton John: I'm Still Standing (Russell Mulcahey)
- Lionel Richie: All Night Long (Bob Rafelson)
- ABC: Poison Arrow (Julien Temple)
- Pet Shop Boys: What Have I Done To Deserve This? (Eric Watson)
Kazimir Malevich, Liubov Popova, Olga Rozanova
American Still Life Painting
Several writers of prose mystery fiction included color imagery in their stories: